Anti-social behaviour (ASB)

At North Wales Housing Association, we understand how important it is for you to be able to live peacefully in your home. We also recognize that ASB can be serious and want to build sustainable communities, which is why we want to support those who report issues to us. In some cases, we will work with other agencies such as the police or council to help resolve issues, and can also refer people to our independent mediation service Link if appropriate.

In an emergency call the Police on 999 (non emergencies on 101).

What is Anti-Social Behaviour?

Social landlords define ASB as behaviour which has caused, or is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress to any person. It also describes behaviour that causes nuisance or annoyance to others.

Examples of some behaviour which can be considered anti-social:

  • Verbal abuse
  • Hate crimes
  • Excessive ongoing noise
  • Vandalism or damage to property
  • Violence
  • Fly tipping
  • Intimidation
  • Dog fouling in public areas

Examples of some behaviour that we would not class as anti-social can include:

  • Children playing outside/inside
  • One off parties and BBQ’s
  • Giving dirty looks or stares
  • Parking disputes
  • Reasonable actions that are considered to be part of everyday activities
  • Reasonable household noise
  • Name calling and social media disputes unless it is deemed to be harassment
  • Reasonable levels of disturbance that can be reasonably expected

NWH may be able to address these as tenancy management issues, please speak to your Neighbourhood Officer for more information on this.

What are our Anti-Social Behaviour Service Standards?

Urgent cases such as hate crimes, incidents of domestic abuse or threats of violence can be reported to us and we will treat these reports as a priority. If we receive an urgent report, a Neighbourhood Officer will make contact within 1 working day.

If the report is non-urgent, then a Neighbourhood Officer will get in touch within 3-5 working days. Throughout the case, we will ask for you to keep us updated of any relevant incidents as this will help us deal with the issue.

How do we deal with Anti-Social Behaviour?

We will do all we can to deal with nuisance problems caused by neighbours, but also expect you not to cause nuisance to others. If no one is in a high-risk situation, often the best course of action is to try to speak to your neighbour directly first. If you have tried this and are still having issues, then early intervention can stop a situation from escalating so it can be helpful to report things through quickly.

Your Neighbourhood Officer may ask you to fill out diary sheets, report things through using the Noise App or to engage with our third-party mediation service Link. Sometimes when reporting an issue to us, we may ask you for permission to inform other relevant organizations, like the police or the council.

In the event that the problem is dealt with, or evidence does not exist (or cannot be obtained), you will be informed in writing that the case is closed giving the reasons. For data protection reasons, we may not be able to give you full details of our actions.

Very few cases get as far as evicting other tenants or having to apply for court orders such as injunctions, but when appropriate, we will take legal action. When ASB is reported to us, our response to reports will always be reasonable and proportionate.

Download ASB Policy

If you wanted to report any ASB or have any more questions, you can contact North Wales Housing’s virtual assistant ChatBot Huw or speak to a member of customer services team on 01492 57 27 27.